Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday 21 October 2016

DIARY OF A NIGERIAN GIRL_Mo' - Episode 1

The struggle (Finances: Money wahala) : Growing up Nigerian has taught me a lot of things.
Dear readers, One thing I learnt as a young Nigerian girl in secondary school was: -"There is food at home".
This is one key that'll help you in life as a Nigerian.
Especially considering the fact that I wasn't one of the very "rich" kids.
I fall under the category of the comfortable ones, the middle class, I dare say.
The ones whose parent provided everything they NEED not WANT.
I never had to suffer for money to get the new text book or pay money for group assignments, my parents made sure I had those.
But what happens when I want that "extra"?
We all want "extra" once in a while so don't judge me.
Like that new top I saw yesterday that'll go well with my jean and I badly want even though I have countless tops at home or that new snack that cost way more than my allowance but I want to buy and still buy a drink to go down with it (Forgetting my mummy's saying "THERE IS FOOD AT HOME")
It always ended up in argument between my mom and I.
Of course, almost every Nigerian will agree with me that we only argue about things like that, with our moms  try that with my dad and you're toast, I mean literally, you are TOAST.
So my mom and I would argue about money for the top. She'd bring up relevant points about how extravagant I am, and how prudent I'm not but all that grammar won't matter to me, all I wanted was money for my top .
To cut the long story short, I win sometimes but that's after a serious lecture about life but mom wins most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment